Pages

Friday 11 May 2018

Anzac

Dear Mum and Dad,

First day on our journey, and theirs already explosions. People jumping off the boats and drowning due to all the heavy stuff their carrying.  Honestly, it's like a never ending nightmare. It haunts all of us.


Some people are too young to be here, there's endless tears running down from their eyes. Frustration and confusion filled in everyone's head, their eyes are searching up and down, side to side, wondering where the bullets are coming from. But here I am,  just sitting in the trenches surrounded by millions of dead bodies, knowing that we have to leave their bodies to rot in the dirt.

Someone was right next to me, talking about his little girl that he had to leave at home. He said he promised her that he was gonna come back, but turns out he had to let that promise go. Right in front of my very eyes, I watched him die and watched his blood scatter everywhere and then it reached my hands, they were shaking with fright and gulitness. And I sat right next to him, until he took his last breath and all I could hear him say was “I just wanted to go back home”.

All I could think about was that man, I didn’t even know his name. Until I heard heaps of men yelling at  me telling me to hurry up, and go with them to safety. My mind was miserable, I was speechless and as still as a statue. I couldn’t move my body nor my mouth.  The guilt that everyone had was unspeakable, we had no choice but to leave behind our teams dead bodies.

No comments:

Post a Comment